September 28, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

For the past few months, my husband and I have been struggling with the decision of what route we should go in the next phase of our life. With Brett being in the military, there never seems to be a "best choice" because we don't have a whole lot of options, and it seemed to be more of trying to choose the lesser of several evils within the options we do have. We sought out the advice of anyone that would listen, prayed, researched, and prayed even more. There was always one option that stood out over the others. It had major benefits, but major drawbacks as well; more so than any other option. Our feelings about it were constantly changing, so it was hard to recognize whether or not it was the direction we should take. We needed some serious guidance. That's why I'm so thankful for my faith and my religious beliefs.

My husband and I were able to go to the Denver Temple while my mom was visiting this last week. It was so amazing to be in a place where we could really feel the Spirit and sort out our feelings and the promptings we've been receiving. I found myself praying not for direction, but for comfort in the decision we had made. I realized that I knew what we had to do all along, but that I knew it would mean giving up a lot, so I didn't want to come to terms with the sacrifices this decision would mean (if that makes any sense).

So, without divulging too much personal information, this decision we have made means that within 6-8 months, our little family will have to be separated for 12-13 months while Brett does his military service in another (safe) part of the world. My two boys and I will be living with my in-laws during this time. It's going to be hard, but I know it's what we need to do and that it will benefit us greatly in the years to come.

I just have to keep in mind the saying (paraphrasing): "you might need to sacrifice now for something better down the road."

1 Happy Thoughts:

Kimberly Giardino said...

Where do your inlaws live? I am happy that you guys have reached a decision! Sad though if you have to leave Colorado