July 24, 2009

Reality Kicking In

I just returned from a 10-day vacation in Utah. It's been my third vacation of that duration or longer this summer. I've determined that vacations that long aren't as enjoyable when you've had so many in succession. I've loved being with my family, don't get me wrong. It's the traveling part that has killed me. Six 8-hour drives are not fun, regardless of whether you have to drive with two small kids or not.

Having said that, I've determined that it takes roughly 36 hours before reality begins to set in again. The first 24 hours, I'm glad to be home, back in my familiar surroundings, where I don't have to worry about where my kids are or what they're doing. The next 12 hours are filled with getting the house back in order and getting back in the routine we lost during those 10+ days. After that, I realize all this is why I wanted to go out-of-town in the first place! I'm sure it will be another 36 hours before the shock of reality wears off and I will be resigned to the fact that I really do like being home. :-)

3 Happy Thoughts:

Paige Hanna said...

If you need another vacation its not to late for Boston and Nantucket...

Erin said...

I agree! You need a vacation at home from your vacation away. But I can never take real vacations at home without getting bored or feeling guilty about what I am not getting done. You are welcome to come to Iowa or Nauvoo...I probably wont have time to see you...but then again, you could probably sleep in my bed since I am never home.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I have only taken a long vacation once, and that was forevers ago. I am dying to go on my 10 day vacay with Ted, in 3 weeks!!