November 13, 2009

Emotions




Emotions are a funny thing. Over the last few weeks, I have been through the entire gamut of emotions - happy, sad, frustrated, worried, elated, scared, just to name a few. Weird thing is, I have a hard time expressing those feelings. About a week ago, I was so frustrated with my current situation, I felt like I was going to burst into tears. When I was finally in a position where I could let the tears flow, they wouldn't come. Oh, how I wanted them to! I felt like I wouldn't feel better until they did. Unfortunately, they never came. I ended up going to bed, just as frustrated, and then waking up in the morning, feeling loads better.

In other situations, I'm embarrassed to say, I tear up at the slightest show of tenderness or thoughtfulness. The emotions well up every single time my son watches "Cars" and I see Lightning McQueen stop at the finish line, foregoing his chance of winning, and pushing the other older race car beyond the checkered flag. Every single time! And believe me, my son watches it about every other day. It never gets old and I can never control those emotions!

Oh, and have you seen the commercial where the UNC basketball player secretly helps the little girl find her dog? If you got a little emotional watching that, raise your hand. *raises hand, sheepishly.*

I don't know why, but I feel like I am completely out of touch with my emotions. I bottle them up and then they manifest themselves at the oddest times. Even when I am extremely happy about something, even the simplest thing will cause me to well up with tears.


My sister is always telling me I need to be better at expressing my feelings. She has this theory that by my bottling things in, it's the real reason why I lose my hair. Who knows.

Anyway...

Besides, in a house full of boys, someone has to keep their emotions from getting the best of themselves.

3 Happy Thoughts:

Paige Hanna said...

You DO need to be better about expressing yourself. It is a hard thing to learn to do, but once you start learning how to express your feelings it helps you get over things so much faster. I'm learning so much about communication with Johnny (who has no problem sharing his emotions) and its only making our marriage - and my sanity- better.

Paige Hanna said...

Oh, and great pic, by the way!

Kristie said...

I am the same way. I will cry at anything now. Ever since I had mason I just cry at everything. Have you seen the commercials for the movie "Blind Side" I cry everytime I see the previews for that I want to see that show so bad and I know I'm going to cry like a baby. It must be a mom thing. Some of my other friends have said the same thing that once they became a mom they just cry all the time.