February 27, 2010

Embarrassing...

So, this morning, Brett's friend, M., came over because he and Brett and another buddy were going to go mountain biking. As they were waiting for their other friend, I came into the room where everyone was and M. asked me if I had colored my hair (he hasn't seen me since I changed from the blond wig). I said "Yep, I needed a change," but my little 3-year-old piped up that I wear wigs. M. then asked "Really?" just as Brett mentioned that brown was actually my natural color. Well, I thought his "Really?" question was referring to Brady's comment about the wig, so I proceeded to explain about my "hair condition" and why I wear wigs. After my explanation, M. then said, "No, I mean, that's your natural color?" Whoops. Man, I felt sheepish. I went into full "this is the real me" mode when all he was wondering about was my real hair color.

Thank goodness they left right after that.

3 Happy Thoughts:

Brittany Anne said...

Haha. Gotta love the little ones. That sounds like something I would do just assume they mean and making myself feel more awkward. I'm sure he went from surprised you were a brunette to surprised you have been wearing a wig all this time and he had no idea.

Perla said...

Hi Amber! So nice to "meet" you. I found you from the comment you left after my interview on the Mormon Women Project. It looks like your dark brown patches are in the same spots as mine. I would love to get in touch with you. Somebody just friended me named Amber on alopecia world. was it you? anyway, email me sometime if you'd like: shannon @ darkpenguin . com

Earl Flournoy said...

Ha ha! Awkward moments. Love 'em or hate 'em. Well, something like that happened to my wife the other week. We were with a friend of ours at a party when someone asked about my wife's hair. Our friend, without hesitation, told the person that she was wearing Motown Tress wigs! That just left me and my wife in awe. I mean, WTH right?

So our friend gradually stepped out of the scene with an "Oops..." face, and then we just explained to the person why my wife was wearing a wig. Of course, our friend apologized and we accepted it.