January 13, 2009

Home

I've learned a few things while being here in Georgia.

1) I really miss my family. I used to think that I would be fine living far away as long as I had Brett and my boys with me. While that is true to an extent, I also really miss my parents and my siblings. Even the 8-hour drive to Utah from Colorado seems like a luxury considering I don't have any option like that while here in Georgia.

2) I need to be in a place that feels like home. Maybe I wouldn't be so homesick if I felt a sense of belonging or permanence. Because we're in Georgia for only six months, and because we don't have the majority of our belongings with us, I just feel like we're drifting. It doesn't help that we moved apartments three months after coming here.

3) I will be glad when we're out of the Air Force and we can buy a house and finally be settled. I'm jealous of my friends that have a home of their own and no reason for moving. I grew up in one house from age 6 until I got married. My parents are still there. I want a place of my own like that.
4) I'm jealous of people who get to live by their families. I would love to be able to go over to my parents' house for Sunday dinner, or have my in-laws and parents fight over who got us each holiday.

0 Happy Thoughts: